Thursday, July 7, 2016

Bad Dream



I dreamed I saw a white man getting choked
   By black policemen for a minor crime.
The courts said what they did was unprovoked,
   And every single one of them got time.
I dreamed I saw a white man getting shot
   By two black cops because he raised his voice.
The cops were executed on the spot
   While Fox News tried (and failed) not to rejoice.
I woke to one more black man full of lead
   Because his skin has no place in the dream
Of equal rights. Why else would he be dead?
   If you would know who threatens a regime
      And who its masters think need Emmett Tilling,
      See who their thugs can get away with killing.

 


Copyright 2016 Matthew J Wells

 

1 comment:

Melinda Q Battle said...

Horrific, shameful, disappointing, disgusting. I shake my head while I shutter my windows. In an earlier life I might have protested with vigor, marched indignantly, full of righteous belief that something could, should be DONE goddammit. My jaded older self fears otherwise.

Nicely sonnetized.