Thursday, July 26, 2012

How it feels to turn 60: the verbal


“How does it feel?” people keep asking me,
   As if my turning 60 was a weight--
As if each decade had a density
   That made me suffer and not celebrate--
As if it was a wound to have more years
   Behind me than I have ahead of me--
As if, just like the closing of frontiers,
   The one thing missing is a eulogy.
I have to say, I don’t feel any change:
   The ticking of the clock is still a call
To take new chances and expand my range.
   The moment’s in the movement, after all,
      And Life’s a tune that each new moment sings.
      How does it feel?  Like wings.  It feels like wings.



Copyright 2012 Matthew J Wells

2 comments:

DidimoChierico said...

But does it taste like chicken... ?!?

Carol Lane said...

I love your poem, Matthew. Saw it on Walker Jones's facebook post.

Happy birthday to you!

Carol Karuna Lane
karunameanscompassion.wordpress.com