Sunday, October 1, 2017

A Month of Couplets - September 2017




From The Daily Couplet:
       Facebook
       Instagram





9/1/17

The new is tar in which my thoughts will sink.
Boring routines will give me space to think.


9/2/17
Walk out of any room where there's no love
And write a tale that you're the hero of.


9/3/17

If I loved myself half as much as I
Love the unworthy, oh, how high I'd fly!


9/4/17

Safety is knowing what you'll do for weeks.
Adventure never sees beyond your cheeks.

9/5/17

The door I fear to open guards a room
Of terrible rewards, not pain and doom.


9/6/17

I love the new, but it's the same old game:
When strangeness beckons, I reach for the same.


9/7/17

In all of history, no one's been you.
Don't waste that doing what the rest can do.


9/8/17

You always know who misses you the most:
The great reach out; the rest fade like a ghost.


9/9/17

Want to make haters feel incompetent?
Treat all their insults like a compliment.


9/10/17

Anger congests us till we fume and sputter.
Forgiveness cleans out all that nasty clutter.


9/11/17

Those born to a belief may be dogmatic
But converts live their creed like a fanatic.


9/12/17

Escape in fiction gets looked down on by
The jailers who say all art must be high.


9/13/17

Fear whispers--my soul sinks beneath the floor.
But just a breath of hope can make it soar.


9/14/17

The more we feed the hate of push and shove,
The less we listen to the voice of love.


9/15/17

(After Blaise Pascal)

All mankind's woes are meat on this one bone:
We can't sit quiet in a room alone.


9/16/17

Compassion weaves when heartless cuts the cord.
When hate is king, love is the rebel's sword.


9/17/17

It's only when I'm all alone and free
That I feel like I'm in bad company.


9/18/17

When my corrupted drives are all cleaned out,
There's still the back-up server of self-doubt.


9/19/17

The things that hurt us most we'll call a treasure
And let them kill us--if they give us pleasure.


9/20/17

It's Life when every answer to our cries
Is just another question in disguise.


9/21/17

It's all about what solitude can teach us
And those who care enough to try to reach us.


9/22/17

Shame is a cannibal--it always eats
Itself, till you're weighed down by your defeats.


9/23/17

Speak tolerance to hate--he never hears it
Because it's loving, and because he fears it.


9/24/17

Power responds to rebels with complaints
By killing them—then making them its saints.


9/25/17

Never tell narcissists that you adore them--
Because it's what they want to hear, you'll bore them.


9/26/17

The high road will become your status quo
When you ditch those who make you take the low.


9/27/17 

Fools take for granted their deep friends' ovation
And fish the shallows for appreciation.


9/28/17

The hardest things in life to let go of
Are those that cling to my lack of self-love.


9/29/17

Obey this sign and lift depression's fog:
DO NOT FEED THE NEGATIVITY DOG.


9/30/17

The world says I must give each waking thought
To what it calls "important"--or I'm not.


Copyright 2017 Matthew J Wells

No comments: