Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Last night I dreamed you called me on the phone



for Meir Ribalow


Last night I dreamed you called me on the phone
   To talk about both versions of The Killers
The brilliant way Lee Marvin dies alone;
   How Ava Gardner should have done more thrillers.
“I got her new book and I thought of you,”
   I said, and you replied, “You’ll have to tell
Me what you think of it.”  I said, “Will do.”
   And then we talked Wilde (Oscar and Cornell),
Till you asked me what I was working on.
   After I told you, you said, “Good, but why?
Because you want to be Fame’s Myrmidon?
   That’s a low goal for anyone.  Aim high.”
      “And then,” I said, “shoot higher, right?  I knew it.” 
      And you said, "Good.  Stop dreaming now and do it."
 
 
Copyright 2013 Matthew J Wells

1 comment:

Leslie Carroll said...

Gorgeous, Matthew. He's still on your shoulder. And mine. And those of all the other writers he has inspired and goaded and supported and taught and mentored. Angel and devil both. Urging us to question and reach higher, knowing that if we do the former, we will achieve the latter.