Saturday, December 10, 2011

Sonnet for Gary

Based on a line written by Carlos Fuentes.

Some people die so we can love them more
   Than we would love them if they were alive--
Death coffins up the flaws life can’t ignore,
   Loss weeds the bad to help the good survive;
Grief bleaches every stain, every disgrace;
   Time blizzards biting edges into curves
Until in death we happily embrace
   Somebody who in life got on our nerves,
Like you, my brother.  Every time we met,
   God, how I bit my tongue and rolled my eyes.
But now your death embraced by my regret
   Blinds me to what in life I did despise--
      And though your faults I never once forgave,
      I’ll keep your best alive beyond the grave.

Copyright 2011 Matthew J Wells

1 comment:

lomacious said...

Today is my father's birthday, and i have been watching these things beginning to happen over the last weeks, kind of in wonder at what i feel no longer important to remember. Great words Matthew. thank you, elijah