Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Songs for a Tuesday morning: Like a pizza in the rain


Something Wild got a Criterion re-issue last Tuesday, and watching it again reminded me of when I first saw the film, which is when I fell in love with Melanie Griffth, and thought Ray Liotta could act.  (I know, I know--Goodfellas--but seriously--he's never been better than in this flick.)

It also reminded me of how much I love the David Byrne of those years, and how well Jonathan Demme's soundtracks stand up years after their original release.  The soundtrack for this particular film is like a snapshot of the mid-80's, encapsulating musically exactly what the film does: a crazy point in time where you could have a dozen different moods and styles clashing up against each other, and yet they were all part of one big crazy all-enveloping thing that could grab anyone, say anything, and go anywhere.

So, because we all need to feel like we can do that, or make things that do that, here are two songs from the Something Wild soundtrack to get us through a rainy cloudy gloomy Tuesday, and maybe just help us to relive--and recreate?--an anything-can-happen moment.

Loco de Amor


Ever Fallen In Love

No comments: