Friday, December 28, 2007

Overheard in Harvard Square, part 5

Okay, after no deliberation at all, just a quick re-read of the variations and emendations of the one stanza I've been working on, I'm going with the one that has nothing to do with me patting myself on the back for making clever puns in French. Today, anyway.

Here's the most recent version:

OVERHEARD IN HARVARD SQUARE


"I think I've finally figured out romance,"
The young brunette declared in Harvard Square.
"The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance.

"Passion is just a self-hypnotic trance --
It makes you chase a prize that isn't there.
I think I've finally figured out romance.

“You can make love to thousands of gallants
And not a single one of them will care.
The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance.

“The point is never passing up the chance
To lose at Risk instead of Solitaire.
I think I’ve finally figured out romance.

“Today’s sure thing is payment in advance
To help you meet tomorrow’s love affair.
The dancer doesn’t matter –- it’s the dance.

“Stop chasing after anything with pants
As if you're only Ginger with Astaire.
I think I've finally figured out romance:
The dancer doesn't matter -- it's the dance."


Matthew Wells, 12/22-27/07

No comments: