Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Songs for a Tuesday Morning: you an' me babe, how bout i-it

Here's something that doesn't happen much any longer: you hear a song for the first time on your local radio station and you fall in love with it so hard and so fast that you immediately throw on a coat and run off to your local record store to buy a copy of the album it's on.

(Care to calculate how many archaeological references there are in that sentence? I count at least three--"local radio station," "local record store," and "album." And given the recent 65 degree Fahrenheit weather in January, "throw on a coat" makes four.)

But if I can go Schliemann on y'all, the above is exactly what I did during the first week of October 1982 when I was listening to WNEW and they played "Telegraph Road" from the Dire Straits album Love Over Gold. Looked at my roommate and said "Holy shit, is that great or what?" and he said "I want to hear that again," and I said, "Be back in ten minutes," threw on my coat, walked to the Sam Goody's in Times Square, bought the album, came home, and played the song at least three times straight before listening to the rest of the album.


It's the guitar at the end that makes the song. It doesn't end so much as fade off in the distance, like a highway that always beckons past some hoped-for destination.

And speaking of the guitar, I've been trying to source this for days and drawing a blank (so you're just going to have to trust my memory on this), but there's a quote from Eric Clapton somewhere to the effect that the first time he heard Mark Knopfler play was the first time he ever felt threatened as a guitarist.


Romeo and Juliet

Telegraph Road

No comments: