Tuesday, June 15, 2010

A Summer Soundtrack Song from Tommy Tunes

I was at the movies this weekend, more for the air conditioning than for the film experience, and during one of the trailers, I actually perked up and started listening--not because the movie sounded interesting but because the song that was playing in the background was familiar in an "I just listened to this recently" way. The trailer was for a film called Cyrus with Marisa Tomei and John C. Reilly, the song is called "Home" by a group called Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros, and the only reason I know about it is because my friend Tommy, who does a song-of-the-week e-mail, gave it his vote as the song of the summer at the end of May. I've also heard that the song is being used in a Palm Web OS commercial, so maybe Tommy's onto something here. Which wouldn't surprise me at all.

So here's the song, as well as the text Tommy wrote to accompany it. You can join his mailing list by e-mailing him direct at tommytu189@aol.com.

As Tommy would say: enjoy.

___________________________________________
Song of the Week: 05-29-10

Home - Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros


Ignored Obscured Restored


It seems like every year one song jumps out as the soundtrack to the summer. You know what I mean – the Young Rascal’s “Groovin” took over the airwaves in 1967, OutKast’s “Hey Ya!” had everyone “shakin like a Polaroid picture” in 2003 and Gnarls Barkley’s “Crazy” was heard everywhere the summer of 2006.

Well my pick for what should be the 2010 song of the summer is “Home” by Edward Sharpe and The Magnetic Zeros, even though it’s nowhere near the Billboard Top 100. The band is a travelling collective of merry pranksters fronted by Alex Ebert and Jade Castrinos who share the singing duties on “Home”.

This song is simply irresistible. It starts off with whistling (love it) and quickly romps off into a galloping rhythm that conjures up images of the rural west, complete with saloon tinkling piano. The lyrics are simple, homespun, corny, memorable and downright fun.

I follow you into the park,
Thru the jungle thru the dark
Girl ain’t never loved one like you

Moats and boats and waterfalls,
Alleyways and payphone calls
I been everywhere with you

Laugh until we think we'll die,
Barefoot on a summer night
Never could be sweeter than with you


The spoken word exchange about two-thirds through is absolutely charming in a June Carter/Johnny Cash duet kind of way:

A: Jade.
J: Alexander.
A: Do you remember that day you fell outta my window?
J: I sure do, you came jumpin' out after me.
A: Well, you fell on the concrete and nearly broke your ass and you were bleedin' all over the place and I rushed you off to the hospital, do you remember that?
J: Yes I do.
A: Well there's somethin' I never told you 'bout that night.
J: What didn’t you tell me?
A: Well, while you were sittin' in the back seat smokin' a cigarette you thought was gonna be your last, I was fallin' deep, deeply in love with you, and I never told you till just now!
J: Aaawww . . .

They sing it so joyfully and playfully – like they really meant it! So learn all the words. You won’t want to miss out on the sing along this summer.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Indeed a terrific song, glad to hear it's getting more play. Especially love Tommy's e-mails -- why else would one go into the office on a Monday but to open that weekend e-mail.